Travelling is therapeutic, the joy it brings to the soul is impeccable. However, It can also be a pain if it is not well planned. Don’t get me wrong, spontaneous trips are great too but there is some little planning in between that little time you have to be on the move. Planning is necessary for greater adventures, know a little bit about the place you are headed to beforehand, it comes in handy to get your travel time’s worth.
On this segment, I am going to give a Motswana out there, who might be interested in holidaying in Thailand, some TIPS on how to go about acquiring and preparing all the documents needed. If you are not a fan of reading you can catch all this on my YouTube channel, where I’ll be getting into more detail about the requirements. How to apply for a Thailand tourist visa
Of course there are a few things that one needs to prepare before Jetting out on a vacation to Thailand. Here is a list of things that you need and how to get them.
1. Of course you need to have your PASSPORT ready as you’ll be leaving the country, it has to at least be valid for 6 months with at least 6 pages left on it to apply for a visa. Yes, citizen of Botswana do need a visa to travel to Thailand.
2. After getting your passport ready, make sure you book your RETURN FLIGHT TICKET or else you won’t be able to get the VISA or if you get it, you might not be able to enter the Kingdom. The bookings can be done with any travel agents around the country, most of them do know how things go, walk in and tell them that you need flight bookings on particular dates to get your visa done.
3. Book a place to stay, it is very important, 1. You will have to fill up a form before arrival with the address of where you are going to stay 2. You might be asked at the airport in Thailand to present your accommodation bookings. There are a few trusted sites that people book accommodation from – AirBnB, bookings.com, agoda.com Hostelworld (for budget travelers), just to mention a few.
4. Make sure you have at least 600USD, approximately BW6,000, cash in hand (carry dollars, pounds or Euro) to present at the airport, the immigration department at the airport might ask you to show some cash as proof that you’ll be able to take care of yourself if ever something happens to you during your stay. (As at 2018)
HOW & WHERE CAN I GET THE VISA?
Thailand visa is not a hassle to get, especially if you are still in Botswana, the visa can be done in South Africa, there is a Thai Embassy in Pretoria, visit their website and email them to get the requirements, they are very efficient. The last time I checked the basic requirements were as follows:
- TWO completed and signed visa application forms. (Please note: A separate form is required for each passport holder, regardless of age. The application form MUST be signed by the APPLICANT personally, unless applicant is a minor.)
- The applicant’s PASSPORT (which should be valid for at least SIX MONTHS from the date of application)
- As well as a COPY of passport
- Certified copy of your I.D. document (besides passport – ID card; driver’s license, etc.)
- 2x colour passport PHOTOS (recently taken)
- Travel details document (one of the following: photocopy of return air ticket / return flight booking / return flight reservation / return flight itinerary)
- Bank statement, recent 3 month statement, with a balance equivalent to 20,000 Baht (approximately 7,000 Rand or $700 US) per person, or 40,000 Baht (approximately 13,500 Rand or $1,500 US) per family, PLEASE NOTE, if travelling more than 60 days, more funds must be available.
- Employment confirmation letter (& certified copy of ID of person who signs letter) for employment in your country of residenceOr: Business Registration Certificate (CC, etc. if self-employed)Or: Letter confirming you are a student / unemployed
- Deposit slip for visa fee
You can actually get your visa without leaving Botswana to South Africa, DHL services are well knowledgeable with the arrangement, everyone I have recommended and helped to get visa have never complained about their services, give them a call to enquire.
Payment for visa processing; An easier and stress free option is the use of an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) with your trusted bank. It will take at least 2 days for them to receive the money, during that time just send a copy of the EFT along with the required documents via DHL, by the time they start processing your visa the money will be in their account.
Another option is to go to the nearest South African city/town, make a cash deposit, go back to Botswana and send your stuff via DHL or visit Pretoria and do it yourself.
5. Wait for at least a week after you have submitted everything required from you through DHL, you will get a call from DHL to collect your passport when the visa is ready. Moreover, give your email more attention in case they might require something from you as they will communicate with you via it.
I have actually done a video that sums up the following post on my YouTube, check it out below
Where to go to in Thailand? – Depending on what you like, there are a lot of choices for travels, but I have realised that people are more into the BEACH holidays which in my opinion as a young Motswana it is WORTH it. Coming from a landlocked country a beach is to die for, it’s something we aren’t used to, unless you are the special one.
I have actually updated places to visit in Thailand on my YouTube video
See you next time. Leave any questions in the comment section I’ll get back to you. You slide into my DMs or inboxes on my social media platforms.
Lets Hang Out